Kenya is a beautiful country located in East Africa, known for its vast wildlife, stunning landscapes, and friendly people. If you are planning to visit Kenya in 2024 or beyond, you need to be aware of the new entry requirements that have been introduced by the Kenyan government.
Kenya is the first African country to be visa-free for all travelers. This means that you no longer need to apply for a visa before your trip. However, you still need to obtain an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) online, which is a semi-automated system that determines your eligibility to enter Kenya.
What is an ETA and how to get it?
An ETA is a document that grants you permission to enter Kenya for a single entry and a stay of up to 90 days.
It is valid for three months from the date of issue and is linked to your passport and flight details. You need to apply for an ETA at least three days before your departure, but you can do it up to three months in advance. The application process is simple and can be done on the official ETA website.
Process of getting an ETA
- Visit www.etakenya.go.ke
- Click “Apply Now” and follow the instructions
- Make sure that all the data has been entered correctly
- Submit the application
- An email confirming receipt of your application will be sent to you
- An email confirming receipt of payment, if applicable, will be sent to you
- Upon decision by Immigration officer, an email confirming Approval / Refusal will be sent to you
- If your application has been approved, please either print the PDF document that has been attached to the email, OR download the document to your mobile device OR save it in the “Kenya Travel Authorization” mobile app. This is your electronic travel authorization that needs to be shown at all departure and arrival points.
- If your application has been denied, you will not be able to travel to Kenya for the moment.
- Please contact email@example.com to report your situation and obtain further details.
- You can check the status of your application at any time by visiting the ETA website on https://www.etakenya.go.ke
You are only allowed to travel after your application has been approved by the Government of Kenya.
Requirements for obtaining a Kenya ETA
You will need to provide the following information and documents:
- A valid passport for at least six months after your arrival date, with at least one blank page
- A passport photo or a selfie that you upload on the website
- Your contact information, including email address and phone number
- Details of your arrival and departure itinerary
- Accommodation booking confirmation(s)
- Credit card, debit card or other means of payment
- If you are visiting for personal reasons, the passport number or identity card number of your host
- If you are visiting for business purposes, an invitation letter from the company you are visiting
Cost of a Kenya ETA
The ETA fee is 34.09 USD per person. This includes the cost of the ETA and bank and processing fees.
For children under the age of 18, the legal guardian, parent or accompanying adult is responsible for filling the application. We highly recommend that families apply as a group.
An ETA does not determine whether a traveler is admissible to enter Kenya. Immigration officers will determine admissibility upon travelers’ arrival.
What else do you need to know before traveling to Kenya?
Besides getting an ETA, there are some other things you need to know before traveling to Kenya. These include:
- You may need a yellow fever certificate if you are coming from or transiting through a country with risk of yellow fever transmission.
- You must declare anything that may be prohibited or subject to tax or duty at customs. There are strict rules about goods you can take into or out of Kenya.
- You cannot import or export drones without prior approval from the Kenyan Civil Aviation Authority (KCAA). Contact the KCAA well in advance of travel if you wish to bring a drone to Kenya.
- You should check the latest travel advice from your government before traveling to Kenya, as there may be some areas that are advised against all but essential travel due to security risks.
Kenya is a beautiful and diverse country that offers many attractions and experiences for travelers. With the new ETA system, it has become easier than ever to visit this East African nation.
Remember to plan ahead, and if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact us for assistance.